Monday 22 August 2011

Last chance to take part in the Last World First in Polar Expeditioning

Save for the first person on their mono-cycle, whistling “Land of Hope and Glory” or some such similar caper, true WORLD FIRSTs are incredibly rare. That’s why I was staggered when I came to realise that no-one had actually reached the Northern Pole of Inaccessibility.
Now, those who know me will testify that I’m a person who does their nth degree of homework AND I do not spin, bluff or BS. So this is all genuine and that’s why (I think) the media have grasped it well.
Incidentally - Some “eejit” has put on the internet that Wally Herbert (a man whom I admire hugely (and I don’t do that very easily at all)) got to the original position in 1968 when he overwintered on the sea-ice, but by his own account he didn’t. Various other rumours exist about Russian scientists travelling through there whilst traversing from one science station to another but I’ve contacted those in the party and they have said they couldn’t remember such an occasion and were sure they would have. So, the closest other rumour is the Russian icebreaker in the late fifties but as yet I haven’t been able to track down the vessel or its’ log.
Despite all the above, in 2005 whilst working with NASA sponsored scientists Ted Scambos and Walt Meier, I asked them if they could re-establish the position using modern technology (GPS and satellite) given that the current published position was established in 1927, by Sir Hubert Wilkins; obviously using 1927 technology!
Lo and behold they confirmed that the actual position is some 200 kilometres away from the original. This has subsequently been ratified by the Scott Polar Research Institute (many thanks to Prof. Julian Dowdeswell and Dr Gareth Rees) and will be the subject of a “press announcement “, in due course.
So; I have a newly established position that I absolutely know that no-one has ever reached.
Now I need four teams of people (up to 7 team members) to train to take part in a 20 day section of this 800 mile journey; incidentally passing through the current position of the Magnetic North Pole.
You may be a total novice or you may have some experience.
You do need the right attitude and characteristics and the very best way of finding out whether you are suitable and you can put up with me and my team is to enrol for the Induction Weekend of 9-11 September. This is the last chance to be involved so, if you’re interested be brave and commit now; I promise you, you will not regret it.

No comments: